Report abuse or neglect

Domestic abuse

How to get help if you or someone you know is experiencing domestic abuse.


If you or somebody you know is in immediate danger

Call 999 and ask for the police.

If you can’t speak, call 999 and then press 55 when asked (known as ‘Silent Solution‘).


What is domestic abuse

Domestic abuse is when someone you live with causes you harm. Domestic abuse can include (but is not limited to):

  • Physical violence
  • Rape and sexual assault
  • Coercive control
  • Harassment and stalking
  • Financial abuse
  • Psychological abuse
  • Forced marriage

You can use the Bright Sky app on your phone to help spot the signs of abuse.

Domestic abuse is illegal and can affect anyone, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity or sexuality.


If you’re experiencing domestic abuse

If you’re in immediate danger, call 999 and ask for the police. Try to leave the property. Go to a neighbour, trusted person or public place.

Create a safety plan that you and your children (if you have any) know and can use to get help. It helps you plan in advance for the possibility of future violence and abuse.

Organisations that can help

If you’re not in immediate danger, contact a domestic abuse helpline for further help and support.

You can also register with the police text service – text REGISTER to 999.  You will get a text which tells you what to do next.  Do this when it is safe so you can text when you are in danger. Find out more about emergency SMS.

Get support with your housing

MTVH can support you to live safely in your home and, if necessary, we can move you to another home. Call us on 0203 535 3535 for confidential advice.


If you know someone who needs help

You may be worried that a neighbour or friend is experiencing domestic abuse. You can:

It can be difficult to know how to support someone who you suspect is experiencing domestic abuse. Equation have published guidance on what to say when you speak to a friend or relative.