Rent a home

You need to apply through your local council if you want to rent a home from us.

Rented homes are in very short supply and it may take some time to find a home.

How to apply

Apply for a home through your local council.

Each council has their own rules – you’ll usually have to join a waiting list and you’re not guaranteed to get a property.

Available homes are listed online, in property magazines and in some council offices. Homes are usually only on the market for a week or two, so if you see something you like and you’re eligible for it, register your interest (called “placing a bid”).

If you’re offered a home

Your local council will get in touch to offer you a home if you’re successful.

You’ll be given a tenancy agreement. This is a legal document that tells you all the rules that come with living in your home. The agreements differ depending on where you live.

Different types of tenancy agreements

If it’s the first time you’ve rented a property from a housing association, you’ll get a probationary tenancy. Think of this as a 12-month trial period.

If everything goes well (you pay your rent and don’t cause any problems with your neighbours), you’ll then be offered what’s called an assured tenancy.

An assured tenancy will guarantee that you can live in your home for a set period of time (assuming that you don’t break any terms).

An assured tenancy usually lasts for 5 years. Depending on your circumstances, you might be offered a lifetime tenancy. Either way, it’s designed to give tenants some stability.

MTVH lettings policy

Our lettings policy outlines how we:

  • Allocate our housing.
  • Make our decisions.
  • Ensure transparency and fairness throughout the process.