If you need financial help, you might be eligible to get benefits including Universal Credit, Personal Independence Payment and Council Tax Reduction.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a monthly payment to help with your living costs.

You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income, out of work or you cannot work.

If you claim other benefits, you may need to move to Universal Credit soon

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) may send you a letter telling you to claim Universal Credit.

Do not ignore the letter (known as a ‘migration notice’).

You must claim Universal Credit by the deadline on the migration notice – this is usually 3 months from when the notice was sent.

Your old benefits will stop after the deadline.

If you need help, contact us online or call us on 0203 535 3535, Monday to Friday, 8am – 6pm.

Universal Credit is replacing 6 benefits called ‘legacy benefits.’ These are:

  • Income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

Check what you’re entitled to with Universal Credit

Use our Benefits Calculator to check how much Universal Credit you may be entitled to. It’s completely anonymous – you won’t need to submit any personal details.

Claiming benefits for the first time

If you’ve never claimed benefits before, you can only apply for Universal Credit. However, there are a couple of exceptions:

  1. If you’re eligible, you can make a new claim specifically for Housing Benefit.
  2. You can still make a new claim for any old benefit if you’re already getting a Severe Disability Premium (SDP), or if you got one in the last month and are still entitled to it.

Applying for Universal Credit

You can apply for Universal Credit on GOV.UK. You’ll need an email address to apply.

Step-by-step guide to applying for Universal Credit

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit can help pay your rent if you’re unemployed, on a low income or claiming benefits.

It’s being replaced by Universal Credit, but you can still apply if you either:

  • Have reached State Pension age
  • Live in supported, sheltered or temporary housing

Read more about Housing Benefit on GOV.UK

If the Housing Benefit that you claim ends, you must let us know immediately so that your MTVH account is accurate.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

The Personal Independence Payment (PIP) can help with extra living costs if you have a long-term physical or mental health condition or disability, something that makes everyday tasks more difficult.

The PIP replaces what used to be known as the Disability Living Allowance.

Read more about Personal Independence Payments on GOV.UK

Council Tax Reduction

You may be able to get a Council Tax Reduction (discount) if you’re on a low income or get benefits.

Apply for Council Tax reduction