Dealing with anti-social behaviour


If someone’s behaviour is upsetting you, the first thing to do is to decide whether this is anti-social behaviour or if it’s classed as irritating behaviour.

Check if an incident is classed as anti-social behaviour


If an incident is classed as anti-social behaviour, you can report it to us. We’ll respond to you within 2 working days.

If your report is about noise nuisance, it helps us to understand the scale of the problem. You can do this by recording times and sound levels using The Noise App or recording incidents using a Diary sheet (PDF). We may share this with your local council. The council may also use recordings as evidence to get a Noise Abatement Notice, seize equipment and prosecute the people responsible.


What happens after you report

  • We’ll try to resolve problems informally and help everyone involved to resolve their differences wherever possible.
  • We’ll offer mediation as a possible way to find a solution – but we know this may not always be appropriate.
  • We can work with the police and a range of other agencies to support you in finding a solution.
  • If the behaviour is hate crime or harassment, we treat this as an urgent issue.
  • We don’t have the same powers as the police and we can’t investigate criminal behaviour. Please report criminal behaviour to the police.
  • We can’t guarantee anonymity when following up on a report.


Taking legal action

If we have proof of serious and prolonged anti-social behaviour, and if it is needed, we can take legal action.

We will need substantial evidence to go down this route, so we’ll be relying on your support to gather as much proof as possible. This means providing incident logs, witness statements and giving evidence at court hearings.

We won’t start legal action until we have examined the situation, considered the evidence and are confident that we’ll succeed.

If we do take legal action, we will need your support and involvement.


Report anti-social behaviour

If you’re in immediate danger and need help, call 999.

If the problem is urgent, please call us on 0203 535 3535 at any time.