Manage your keyworker home

Hillingdon Hospital: manage your keyworker home

Everything you need to know about living in keyworker housing at Hillingdon Hospital in Uxbridge.

Do you want to live here? Read more about our keyworker housing – including how to apply.

Your keyworker office

Contact us online if you have any questions about your home.

Or contact your local keyworker office:

Telephone: 020 8607 0564

In person at the Hillingdon Office:

Munsaugh House
48 Crispin Way, Uxbridge
Middlesex, UB8 3WY

The office and phone lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm.


You can request or track a repair online.  Or contact your local keyworker office to request repairs.

You need to carry out minor repairs inside your home yourself. This includes small jobs like replacing a light bulb or unblocking a sink.

Gas and central heating repairs

Each keyworker home has a list of local contractors that can fix issues with your building’s gas and central heating. Their contact details were given to you when you moved in.

If you don’t know who your local contractors are, contact your keyworker office.

Your tenancy

Your tenancy agreement covers important things like:

  • When you need to pay your rent.
  • What you can and can’t do in your home.
  • How to end your tenancy and move out.

Find out more about your keyworker tenancy.

Cleaning, linen and laundry

You’re responsible for cleaning your flat or room and keeping it in good condition. We have provided all shared spaces with a vacuum cleaner.


Bed linen and towels aren’t provided.


The laundry room is next to the keyworker office. It’s open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If the machines aren’t working, call Circuit Laundry on 0800 092 4068 or report it to the keyworker office during opening hours.


Lost keys

Contact your keyworker office during office hours if you lose your keys or fob.

If you lose them when the office is closed, call the out-of-hours service on 0300 456 2929. They will arrange access to your room or flat. On the next working day, you must contact your keyworker office, who will give you a replacement key or fob.

You will be charged for any replacement keys or fobs and for the cost of any locks or barrels we have to change.



You’re responsible for ensuring all rubbish is disposed of in the bins provided by the local council. Please recycle as much as possible.

Recycling is collected every Tuesday. Rubbish is collected every Friday.

You must take any bulk rubbish to the local tip or recycle centre. Or you can contact your local council who will collect these items for you.



Contact your keyworker office to see if there are any spaces available.

If there aren’t any, you will be added to a waiting list. We’ll contact you when one becomes available.

Any vehicles parked without a valid permit displayed will be ticketed.



Smoking is not allowed anywhere inside the building.



Your post will be delivered to your flat or to the letterboxes in the shared corridors.



Visitors can contact you on the intercom system outside your property by keying in your flat number and pressing the ‘call’ button.


TV, telephone and internet



You can connect your TV to the aerial point in your flat. There is a communal aerial that provides Freeview channels.

You must have a TV licence if you have a TV. Failure to buy a licence may result in a fine of up to £1000. Apply for a TV licence online.

You’re not allowed to install a satellite dish. You can sign up to a satellite provider – contact your keyworker office for more details.


There’s a telephone access point in your accommodation. Contact your chosen service provider who will give you details on connection charges.


WiFi is available throughout the building. The WiFi name is ‘Optify Media Force.’ You’ll need to pay to access it and you can sign up for a day, a week or longer.

Staying safe

Read how to stay safe in your keyworker home for information on:

  • What to do in a fire.
  • How to keep your appliances safe.
  • Keeping your home secure.